People and territories are contaminated, infested, initiated and oppressed by the water spirits in the following ways:
1. Through initiation by parents or ancestors by reason of one’s family lineage
2. Through the geographical location a man lives or where he is born. Even when you do not consciously invite the water spirits, as long as they are ruling spirits in their environment, a person can get contaminated/infested as long as he is not in Christ and even if he or she is but does not have understanding of deliverance or spiritual warfare (Hos. 4:6; Is. 5:13-14).
3. Through sexual sins, i.e., adultery, fornication, incest, homosexuality, rape, masturbation, lesbianism, and bestiality; all of these open doors for water spirit demonization
4. Through involvement in feasts, festivals, rituals and satanic initiations many of which are done in ignorance in the name of culture or tradition, i.e., the place in Africa where they have a tradition of dropping newborn babies into the water and picking them up in seven days
5. Through names given to individuals
6. Through marriage to those who are already infested or initiated
7. For pregnant women who are asked to go and have a bath in the sea and drop things into the water, they have unwittingly initiated that baby in the womb.
8. For women who need the fruit of the womb and they are asked to bath in the river, the child they will conceive has been dedicated and initiated from the womb.
9. Some “pastors” seeking satanic power visit the seashore, are asked to make certain incantations, and thereafter are “admitted” into the water spirit world through an opening into the water. Thereafter, they manifest “power” and “wealth,” but they are not from the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
10. Some get infested with water spirits by reason of artifacts they buy and decorate their homes with or dedicated clothes and jewelry they adorn their bodies with; pictures and or paintings of mermaid (the head of a woman with the tail of a fish) these constitute an altar of water spirits and do contaminate.
11. Dropping sacrifices into farmland, ponds, rivers, streams, lakes, oceans or placing them by the side of any of these bodies of water results in invitation
12. Tossing coins into water bodies and making a wish with such actions result in infestation with water spirits because this is indirectly invoking them to work for the person
13. Through divination and enchantments released on the undiscerning
14. Through eating food cooked by people possessed by water spirits of course without giving thanks to sanctify the food, e.g., an evangelist who used to be a high-level occultist claimed in his testimony he got initiated into witchcraft through fried bean-balls
15. Through naming streets and towns after water spirits, i.e., dedicating such places to these spirits, e.g., Popo Yemoja in Ibadan, Nigeria, meaning Water Spirit Street
16. Through sexual involvement with those who are “carriers” of water spirits
17. Through visiting herbalists for power or protection
18. Through visiting marine spirit priests out of curiosity or just being adventurous
This list is not comprehensive, as the devil is subtle in the way he deceives people and gets them initiated into his kingdom.
People have a myriad of reasons for entering into covenant with spirits. A few of such reasons include:
1. Desire for power to rule
2. To possess magical powers
3. To get healed of sicknesses and afflictions
4. To have children when this had been difficult or impossible
5. To gain wealth and riches
6. To exercise powers of witchcraft
7. To ensure safe voyage on the seas
8. To ensure a good catch of fish, lobsters and other edible sea animals
9. To get rain and a good harvest in agriculture
10. To have access to supernatural power
11. In order to establish thrones and stools and acquire power to win battles and wars
12. To serve for themselves protection from affliction, danger and death
13. To get “delivered” from demonic oppression
14. In order to succeed in their endeavors
People who get initiated for these reasons lack understanding, and it is only a relationship with Jesus Christ that can set them free.